17 Better Questions for 2017
Are you interested in getting different results this year? that is are you wanting differing results from this past year?
Are you interested in repurposing your skills, talents and resources to make your bigger difference in the world?
Are you interested in life getting easier, more graceful and generally sweeter?
If your answers are mostly “heck yes”, there is one tool that each of us has access to, it’s a tool we use every single day I bet, however it’s a tool that we often take for granted and don’t use to our best abilities.
One of our magic super powers is Asking Better Questions!!
Asking bigger and better questions of ourselves sounds easy but rarely is, because when we do so we are self-challenging ourselves and that is not always a fun activity! I know how easy it is to make excuses and to back away from a self-challenge, however to think bigger, reframe differently and asking big, bold questions tends to shake things up, even in the thinking about them. Our natural inclination is to ask questions of others, “what do you think? “do you think it would be a good idea if I did so and so?” how often I have heard these questions fall out of my mouth, like I am taking a poll of the Universe to discover what others have experienced and how I should react, instead of asking myself and following my own truth which is way more coherent.
Each of us is a unique difference-maker who has unique gifts and whose job it is to serve up that one big idea that lights us up naturally. Paying attention to what lights us up, gets us out of bed in the morning and firing on all cylinders as our absolute best selves might be one of the first Big Questions to ask.
Here are a few quotations from people who understand the purpose of asking big questions:
“Don’t search for the answers, which could not be given to you now, because you would
not be able to live them. And the point is to live everything. Live the questions now.
Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it,
live your way into the answer.” – Rainer Maria Rilke
“A person’s question contains half the answer.” – Solomon Ibn Gabrial
“It is not the answer that enlightens, but the question.” – Eugene Ionesco
I am not sure who said the “quality of the questions you ask reflect the quality of the life you live” but it surely seems to be an accurate statement.
The obvious follow-up is, so how can we use questions more effectively?
There are several techniques by which we can access our natural super-powers, which can often shine a light on our next steps.
a) Use post it notes with just question marks on them place them around the house in conspicuous locations, reminding yourself to live in the question.
b) Employ 3 x 5 cards to ask your subconscious mind a question, write it the question out in full, place it by your bedside and let the answers percolate to the surface of your mind…dont be concerned if it takes a few nights, being relentless and sticking with this action can deliver enormous results.
c) Write a list of your best questions at the back of your journal, keep revising them, improving and upgrading them till you find the ones that really ring a natural chime with you, the ones that deliver the most results….it sure is surprising to find the answers buried within the questions.
To help you get started I have created a list of the questions that might help you frame your New Year, because we are moving rapidly into this wonderful space and time. Let’s live more intentionally by asking better questions.
Just start, ask yourself rapidly more and more challenging questions, you may build, morph and grow these to suit your situation. Let us know how you fare with this practice.
Here’s to you playing a bigger game!
17 Questions to Your Best 2017
1. What were your biggest and best accomplishments in 2016?
2. What gold nuggets did you learn in 2016 that you would love to bring to 2017 and use effectively?
3. What are you most grateful for in 2016?
4. What new habits, practices or thinking did you start in 2016?
5. What would you love more of in 2017?
6. What would you love less of in 2017?
7. What would you love to be more grateful for in 2017?
8. What belongings or behaviors do you need to let go of in 2017?
9. What spaces in your life do you need to clear out? Cupboards, closets, the garage, old filing cabinets for example.
10. What is the number one habit, that if you stopped it, would catapult your life to a higher level?
11. What emotional, mental or psychic mess might you want to clear up?
12. What do you want to start doing? What new habit that when well practiced, will make the biggest difference in your life?
13. What is the number one thing that you can change to bring impact to my life?
14. Where do you want to lean in? In other words where do you want to put the more energy in 2017?
15. What ten non-negotiable items do you fully intend to accomplish in 2017? Write them down – now.
16. What is the single largest dream you intend to manifest in 2017?
17. WHO do you need to be to create this wondrous 2017?
At Rock Your Reentry and Expat Hub, we wish you all the best of success in your journey wherever you are.